Hope" was a short video about other single girls in situations similar to mine. I didn't want to think about it at the time so I just brushed off any doubts by telling myself that it didn't apply to me. All those girls were young high school kids that didn't even want their babies. I was in what I thought was a stable relationship and was looking forward to parenthood. It took awhile for tough outer shell to crack but finally I did come to my senses. I realized the only difference between myself and those girls was age. I was no better or smarter than them. I too had made a serious error in judgement. I had given away something so precious without serious thought into the consequences of such reckless behaviour. I was ready to contact LDS Family Services.Thus began the process of my adoption story. During my first meeting with my counselor, Mark, I shed quite a few tears but I also felt as if a weight h
ad been lifted off my shoulders. I began to better understand the scripture in Matthew chapter 11. The Savior says, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest...For my yoke is easy, and my burden light." I was so nervous and scared during that first meeting. When I get nervous I sometimes fold things, anything to keep my hands busy so they don't shake. I didn't realize I was doing it at the time but throughout our first meeting, I kept folding up my Kleenex into little squares. By the end of that first visit I had a nice neat little stack of tear-stained Kleenex next to me. This habit of Kleenex origami became one of many things that helped show my personality.
During that meeting, Mark recommended the book "For the Love of Child: The Journey of Adoption" by Monica L. Blume and Gideon O. Burton. Anyone interested in learning more about the adoption process and the LDS perspective, this is a must read. There are so many wonderful stories that brought me to tears. I had to put it down a number of times and pick it back up later because so many of the stories were so very close to my heart.
The blurb on the back cover reads, "The journey of adoption is never easy, but it is one of love and growth that can be powerfully redemptive. Adoption transforms the pain felt by all involved as they experience the ways God works in the lives of many people through one precious child.This book is essential reading for those struggling with the decision to adopt, support an adoption, or place a child for adoption. With thought-provoking, real-life experiences told from a professional perspective, as well as tender personal stories from people whose lives have been changed by adoption, it is filled with useful information and, perhaps even more important, great hope."
No comments:
Post a Comment